Thursday, October 27, 2011

13.0 Happiness, Four in One

I have long ago been praying and waiting for dark clouds to part and let sunshine thru, but a year had past and there was nothing. As the year draws near, it was more of the same. I was trapped in a middle of nowhere faintly remembering what happiness was and vaguely seeing what it is like to be.

But life does have a way of making up for all unpleasantness and when it does, it comes surprisingly in bunches. I heard long before that when it rains, it pours - be it for good or bad. And four happy things poured on me on the week of October 9, 2011.


Happiness One. My wife gave birth to our second baby daughter - Krissen Nicea - on October 11, 2011. I was there in the delivery room taking pictures when I heard my baby's first cry as if announcing to the world that she had arrived. I looked at her face and she was radiant and beautiful in all her innocence. When I held her in my arms for the first time, she opened her eyes and it was like seeing myself in her - my own image and likeness. I felt like heaven had descended or more fittingly that I entered heaven with the lightness of being that enveloped me. I was smiling as if on cloud 9.




Happiness Two. While I was in the hospital, I was busy attending to my wife and trading at the same time. One stock (CLOUD) that had been in my portfolio for more than a month started going up in value a day after my baby was born. I sold a portion on that day at 17% margin off its purchased price. Then on October 13, 2011, I sold another portion at 47% margin and on October 14, 2011, the day my wife and baby were discharged from the hospital, I was able to exit another portion at 60% margin. My new baby wove magic and not only made me a happy daddy but a happy trader as well.

Happiness Three. I drove my wife and baby home on October 14, 2011. Though tired, I immediately took a quick shower and put on business attire to attend to our graduation from the Certification on Stocks Specialization Course right at the trading floor of the Philippine Stock Exchange. Of the 54 original enrollees, only 28 made it. We were given nicely made and really large framed certificates. Then I was surprised to be one of five graduates given special honors for achieving the highest average scores in class. The special award was a bronze bull statuette that must have weighed half a kilo. I was happy that at the age of 43, I can still hack it off.




Happiness Four. After the brief graduation ceremony, I headed straight to the law office of my friend not to file a legal case but to play poker with the Abayan Boys. The Abayan Poker Boys Club is an exclusive club of our town-based organization in Manila. If you are not a member of the Abayan, you cannot play with our poker club. That gives us a little pride rivaled only by the snobbish Manila Polo Club. That night, I went home with my wallet three times thicker and my smile four times wider - a result that is rare and far in between since playing poker with the Abayan boys many years back.

As I look back to that week, I get more excited of the weeks ahead. Finally, the dark clouds have parted and I can see and feel the warm sunshine brightly kissing my face . . . everyday. Tomorrow, it is gonna be sunshine again for my new baby, my portfolio, my new career and my poker game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment